AI voice synthesizing allows voice-over studios to significantly reduce costs and save time on producing audio content for various projects. But what does it mean for actors who used to be at the top of the voice-over industry? Is it true that once sought-after professionals will lose their jobs and status, being completely replaced by synthetic media?
Let’s see if these concerns are reasonable, or if voice-over actors can reap the benefits of these modern technologies.
Worries around voice cloning
The voice-over industry is one of the industries where the use of technology explodes in popularity because of its ability to replace the role of a human. That’s why voice actors fear that they will soon become obsolete. Here are some reasons why their fear is unjustified:
- A person’s voice is unique and voice cloning has limitations. If we consider text-to-speech technology, it is not be able to produce the slightest tones and shades peculiar to the human voice.
- Speech-to-speech technology also cannot go without a living human. Even if an actor’s voice is replicated with the help of voice cloning, it will not work for other actors. And if we take into account how much audio and mixed content is required for production, and how many actors there are in the voice-over industry, voice actors should actually receive offers for more work. The only thing that changes is the workload of the voice-over actor.
Now let’s look at to benefits
Regardless of the concerns actors are expressing, voice synthesizing plays into their hands. Let’s find out what opportunities these voice industry technologies open for actors.
- Better work distribution. There are several factors that determine the demand for a voice actor: acting skills, professionalism, if the actor fits the character, and their voice. However, one actor cannot voice-over many characters because their voice has limits. Sometimes we can find cases when one actor voices several characters, but this is an exception. As a rule, one actor voices one character. Due to voice cloning technology, there’s an opportunity to select actors based on their acting professionalism, without making their voice the only priority. In this way, the selection process is improved as it allows actors to organize their work more efficiently.
- Distinctive voices. Voice actors are often hired to voice-over not just people, but also different objects and creatures. This is relevant for video games, fantasy movies, or other content involving magical and fictional heroes. Such characters demand specific and unusual voices. This puts a load on an actor’s vocal cords and sometimes actors physically cannot perform these voices for extended periods. Voice cloning allows for copying an actor’s voice and acting manners to preserve the actor’s health.
- Voice rejuvenation. In cases when games or movies involve younger and older versions of a character, different voices are needed. The voice of an actor will change over time by becoming harder, or cracking. While looking for someone younger with a similar voice is a utopian idea, voice cloning is a real technology that solves the problem and helps the actor stay on a project.
- Using multiple languages and accents. Voice synthesizing can make an actor speak any language or accent without issue. If a content creator needs a character to speak another language for some time, there’s no need for the actor to learn how to speak this language. Instead of pulling out their tongues, which native speakers usually make fun of, they can focus on their job. Alternatively, there’s an option to find a person with a command of the required language or accent whose voice will be changed to the actor’s voice.
- Earning income. Actors can earn income using their voices even when they aren’t acting. If an actor licenses samples of their voice on a text-to-speech platform, they are paid every time someone uses their voice. Apart from monetizing, actors have an opportunity to promote their voices as a brand. For example, voice-over actor Tim Heller made his voice do a job for him with the help of voice cloning.
Take advantage of voice cloning technology
Technologies were created to make people’s lives easier and help them reap more benefits. If you are doubting whether they can help you, try to assess the situation from different perspectives. When setting aside your concerns, you may discover opportunities that you would have never considered. Get the most out of voice cloning technology by reaping every benefit with the help of Respeecher.